Thursday, June 09, 2011

5 things I missed out on . . .

The last two years have been a wonderful episode in my life. Had the best time of my life, got to know a lot of diverse people, got to be a part of a wonderful team with wonderful teammates, experienced a lot of things for the first time, dinners, parties and what not, got hands on experience on leading a team, achieved most of the goals which I had set for myself and most importantly, made friends for life. If given a chance to relive any part of my life again, I would, without any hesitation, want to relive the past two years over again.

This post however, tends to highlight a few things which I missed out in the last two years. As they say, every coin has two sides and everything comes with two aspects. You cannot get everything. Here, I try to recollect five such things, or rather five of the most important things which I think I missed out on, in the last two years

1. Television

Watching the television went down drastically. Earlier I used to watch a few channels, debates, discussions, documentaries and some music channels very regularly. Staying in a hostel, with a common TV connection, meant that you only watched big cricket matches, EPL, sometimes tennis and very very occasionally F1. I still vividly remember watching some of the big WC cricket matches, Federer winning at Roland Garros in 2009, some of the awesome Football matches, WC Football. But that was all about it. No debates, no discussions, no talk shows, no documentaries. Which meant, you did not have too many perspectives and opinions to fall back upon.

2. Reading & Blogging – Newspapers and Books

This was one habit which I was very proud of. But once into MBA, everything came to a standstill. Though we had subscribed to a couple of newspapers, it was more of a formality and nothing else. Though I used to read, it was minimal. Reading books also went for a toss, not because I couldn’t find time or motivation, but because when there was time, there wasn’t the mood, and when there was the mood, there was no time. Google, Wikipedia and Internet is another of the reason for that deterioration. With the MBA and hostel lifestyle, everything was readily available on the internet.

Blogging also took a major hit, as, when inputs stop, there won’t be too many avenues for the output either. At one point of time, I really used to feel bad when I used to see the statement “An avid blogger – since June 2007” in my resume and wonder what will happen if some recruiter actually goes through my blog and sees how avid I actually was.

3. Home food

This was something I really missed. Food prepared by mom, some specialties and delicacies that are prepared only during certain occasions, the festivals and the ambience in itself. Responsibilities and the rigour, ensured that the number of trips to home reduced drastically, and that made sure that all those luxuries remained exactly that!!

4. Health

Constantly eating outside – more of the unhygienic and junk food, minimal exercises and physical activities made sure that I lost control of my diet. Never once did I gather the motivation to visit the gym. Table tennis was intermittent in the two years and jogging down the hill and up back again was also the same. All in all, put on weight, and was termed as overweight during the pre employment medical examination at my prospective company.

5. Personal life

As I had some goals in mind on the professional front, I also had some dreams on the personal front. Dedication (or rather over dedication) to certain things during the last two years, did not give me enough time to chase those dreams and that is the only regret I have of the last two years, if I have any.

Well, as a very good friend of mine always says, “Everything in life is nothing but a tradeoff. You win some, you lose some”. I guess it is true, and nothing can be done about that. Time to move on J

No comments: