Sunday, February 24, 2008

Maa

Main Kabhi Batlata Nahin
Par Andhere Se Darta Hoon Main Maa
Yun To Main,Dikhlata Nahin
Teri Parwaah Karta Hoon Main Maa
Tujhe Sab Hain Pata, Hain Na Maa
Tujhe Sab Hain Pata,,Meri Maa


Thus starts one of the most meaningful and soothingly calming compositions of recent times. Written by Prasoon Joshi, the lyrics have the power of bringing tears to the eyes. And coupled to it, the music by Shankar Ehsaan and Loy and the voice of Shankar Mahadevan himself, it becomes one of the greatest songs of all times to listen.


It simply talks about one relationship in life. Mother!!! If someone deserves to be the most adored and respected person in my life, it is my mother. And I am sure many of you will have similar views. For the simple reason that, whatever I am today, wherever I am today, if I am able to stand on my own legs, its because of only one person, My Mother!!


Having seen her closely over these years, I would be committing a great crime if I dont appreciate whatever she has done for me. She has been one person, who has simply worked selflessly round the clock. Without expecting anything much. She has led a simple life, always maintained a very low profile in the society. She has always been the first to take up any responsibility, primarily at home and complete it very efficiently almost every time.


I still remember the days in my childhood, when I used to get punished by my dad for some misdeeds of mine!! And her laps were always there for me. There was a reassuring calmness in those laps. There still is. Over the years she has become one of my closest friends, the one who I can confide in about anything, at any time in the day. She is such an understanding person, always making it a point to listen first and then talk. I have learnt that great skill of listening more and talking less, from her.


Those days, when I used to go to school, she used to walk with us (me and my brother) all the way to school. In fact, I still remember my first few days in school. I, like many kids, was reluctant to go to school. She simply used to convince me that she would not go back and wait at the gate for the school to be over. And I used to believe her. She used to quickly go home, do the daily chores, washing clothes, cooking, taking care of my brother(till he also joined the school) taking care of my grandparents too and what not!! And in spite of all these, she made it a point to be present at the school main gate, 5 minutes before our classes were supposed to disperse. And she was never late, one single day!!!


Then came the days, when I started playing. Engaging in fights and falls those days were very common. Even during those days, she was always there. Trying to come and mediate, not always taking my side, but if I was right, she would never allow anything to happen to me. Even if I was wrong, she used to patiently talk to me, with an aura of conviction that I almost instantaneously used to accept my mistakes. Not that she wanted to find fault with me or make me feel ashamed. She only ensured, that I dont go the wrong way, that I dont learn from life the hard way. She along with my dad, have grown me up in such a way, that when the day of me facing the world comes, I would be fully prepared for it.


Another period of my life where she has played a major role is in my studies. Not necessarily academics only. I have been good at academics as well as co curricular activities throughout my life. And she always made a point that overconfidence never creeps into my mind. She always used to manage her time in such a way that she had time for everyone. For me and my brother, my dad, my grandparents, etc. My grandparents were staying with us meant we had guests visiting us frequently. And never once have I seen her complaining!! She has always spent an hour or so with us in the evenings, making sure, we don't go back to school the next day with a sorry face! With whatever she knew, she used to teach us. Not that she was a great learned soul or something. And with whatever she did not know, she made it a point that she will learn it and pass it on. I still remember a golden day in my life. After my 7th, when I passed to 8th, the local Municipality held a scholarship exam, for all local school students in that district. And whoever secured the first three places in the exam, got scholarship for the next three years. The questions were from 7th standard syllabus only, but I had seemingly forgotten a couple of concepts. I still remember the way, how she, late at night, was trying her best to convince me with the concept. That day, I had promised her, that should I win the award, I will give her half of what I get. Eventually I won the first prize. But the second part of my statement is still pending!! And she has never asked about it, even once!!


Dinner time always used to be a time of learning and interaction. All of us used to have dinner at the same pre decided time. And nobody has ever been late even a single day. Such was her charm and control over the house, that she has ensured that the basic discipline is well in place. Unlike other households where we frequently find maids for doing various chores, cooks for cooking and all, she used to do everything. That meant she did not get a fair deal with entertainment and all, but she was okay with it. The fact that, even to this day, we do not have satellite TV connection at our house, is a live testimony for that. And mind you, she is a great cricket freak. She badly missed cricket matches. But she was happy enough to sacrifice it for our futures!!


As I grew up, life and studies became more and more challenging. 12th was a very important part of my career/life. I had to wake up early in the morning to attend classes, then normal college, then evening classes and then return home late in the evening. And study till late night. So hectic was my routine. But even in that situation, she always used to be up half an hour before me, and always made sure that I did not have to leave house in a hurry. And she even used to sit with me in the late nights. She could easily have slept. But no she chose to spend time with me, which always gave me a feeling of security.


After that, I slowly moved to college, stayed in hostel. Met lot of people from various walks of life. I became more mature. I started playing around with her. Teasing her became a routine. But she never did mind. She has been such a great sport all through her life, that its just a consequence that she always takes everything so lightly.


And now, both of us have moved out. In search of our careers. Both my grandparents have expired. And my dad has been transferred to a place quite far from home, which means he leaves home earlier than before and arrives back later than before. So all of a sudden, the house has become empty for her. She has become lonely. Though we can all lend her only emotional support, I can very well understand, what state he is going through. Luckily for us, they have moved to an area where all activities are happening. She somehow keeps involving with them, meeting people, and makes sure she keeps herself occupied with something or the other. And to this day, she has never once complained about it!!!!


You are the most important person in my life, and will always remain so. Whatever I am today, is solely because of you. I know I can never repay you for whatever you have given me. But I promise you, to keep you happy at all times.
Tujhe Sab Hain Pata, Hain Na Maa
Tujhe Sab Hain Pata,,Meri Maa



13 comments:

PURN!MA said...

it seems odd, weird, surprising, unbelieveable... but mothers all around are the same. I can relate the same facts with my mum too. As in staying awake when me n my brother burnt the midnight oil during our respective 10th n 12th and later too; hearing patiently when I cried out issues/ fears to her and then gently sugarcoating the facts of life and making us ready to face the world by continuously reminding us that out of your own home , you have to tread your own way.

It's the mother instinct that protects us, the children. Call it sixth sense, experience or even at times; wild worry, but each advice of amma has been correct and has turned out to my benefit.

Cheers to the Goddesses in our life called amma!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nithin,

It feels nice to read ur posts ..
Mother is indeed a person sent by God cos he couldnt be with everyone at all times ..

Nisha said...

Simply true,
she is the one I mstly fight with, Our choices will hardly match, bt thn ny decision I mk is incomplete widout her advice, I need her always behind me; she is lk my self confidence, @ the end of the day a life widout her is miserable to even thnk.
Hats Off to all the Mom's n dere unconditional luv

adljkfhih sdlkhip said...

hmmm... Its a soft topic to write about. I mean not that its not good but its not thought provocative.

while respecting your regards to your mother, I would like the word to be PARENTS rather than being MOTHER only. May its only me but I like to place my dad at the same podium as much as amma. Not that I don't love amma, but to say I love my dad equally much.

On the ending note, being a critic, I would like to see articles that would see some PARADIGM SHIFT in readers. Its just a thought!

India Mahesh said...

Simply good. Have no words to say. A relation with mother so well defined!

S 4 Sandeep said...

Nice and long one re .. yes there are so many things that our parents have done for us ... i always keep thinking how well they have managed to do it the way they have done and have continued it all along .. I guess we are a well-bred, well-bound generation with people closely guiding and helping us all along.

Unknown said...

Great Work Brother.

Agree with each and every word written here.

Whatever we are is only because of our parents. we are indeed very
lucky to have them as our parents.

When we were living with our parents, we never really understood their
worth. Its now, when we started living away from them that we have got
to know wat it actually meant living with our parents.

Looking at the way others are bringing up thier children, I am
thankful to god to have given me such nice parents.

And as you said there will be no way we can re-pay them for watever
they have sacrified for us. The least we can do is keep them
happy under all circumstances.

Keep writing..

Prashanth Nayak said...

Really well written dude....its really emotional for the fact that most of them, including me,have had such experiences with our mother...To be frank,it was when i saw that song in the movie was when i had tears in my eyes,the last time,and that too after a long long time it was....remembering my mummy...the way she was with us all along...through ups and downs....Never letting me and my sister cry for anything..but one thing i would like to say is that father's role is equally important in bringing us to where we are now...for example,as one grows older, we tend to be like our father and in the childhood days we looked up to amma....so they are the most precious gifts that anybody can have....anyways though, once again, nicely written...

Hashish said...

Really well written man...So much Emotion in one post...Reserve some for the future ones also..

Nitin "Engineer" Prabhu said...

@ ALL READERS

Thanks a lot for your great support!! I agree with all of you that role of one's father is also equally important. But in this post, I did not want to mix both of them. A father is a father and a mother is a mother. Nothing can interchange their positions and roles. But what I was trying to convey in this post, is to salute the ONE MOST IMPORTANT person in my life. And for me, its my mother. Of course I do respect my dad too, and there is no second thought to the fact that he too has been responsible for whatever I am today. But the thing I wanted to maintain in this most, is to respect a woman, for the simple life she has led, for so many sacrifices she has made, for being so selfless all along, for having no expoectations of life and for being such a wonderful person

Cheers!!!

Poonam said...

An excellent blog ya... straight from the heart!!! :) yep...parents have an irreplaceable part to play in our lives!!! be it mum or dad!!! each has sacrificed a part of their lives for us!!! well written...waiting for ur nxt blog!!!

SWATZ said...

Well-written, thoughts well put across... the flow of the write-up is so smooth that never did i fell like pausing in between and taking a break[as it is damn long, man!!!;)lol]...touched the emotional chord of my heart!!!keep writing such stuff...and parents...they are the one who mould us n shape us... we, who are like a raw clay...Owe everything to them...:)cheers...all the best!!!:-)

Nikhil said...

Speechless!! simply marvellous!!