Sunday, February 15, 2009

Adamance at its best!!!!

It was just another day for me. I had attended my classes from 2 to 6 and was returning home. Those were the times of the rains and the monsoon was at its unpredictable best. Being the lazy person that I am, I hardly carry anything that can be a so called burden. So on this clear morning, when I left home, I did not even bother to carry my jacket. Just a couple of hours back, it had started drizzling and now the drizzle had slowly turned into a calm shower.

No sooner had I negotiated the intersection at Paradise and turned left, I was stopped by a "Rakshak". These Rakshak's are typically Tata Sumo's used by the Police. It was then that I realized that the month was almost coming to an end, and these people were short in their monthly collections.

"Show me your driving license", said one of them.

I obliged.

"Show me the vehicle papers and the insurance and PUC certificate!!!". His tone was of arrogance and authority. I hate when people use their position to get the better out of others. And moreover, in India, its more like they always see you as a defaulter.

Unfortunately for me, my vehicle had got punctured that day, and I was using my colleagues' vehicle. Generally, we all have a habit of keeping the photocopy of the papers in the tool box of the vehicle. To my dismay, I found out that there was nothing in this toolbox, nor in the tank cover. But we all have vehicles which have been registered together, and as a result have consecutive registration numbers. Mine was 1675, and I was using my colleagues' which bore the number 1672. I had the papers of my vehicle in my bag. I showed them to him.

"This is a company vehicle which I am using. My vehicle has been given for some repair work. So I am using my colleagues' vehicle today. Here are the papers of my vehicle. You can very well verify the registration number of the vehicle and the RC card. They are in serial order."

The policeman smelled money. "I cannot do anything. Show me the papers pertaining to this vehicle, or else pay the fine."

The general tendency of the public is to bribe the policeman in front with as less as 50 bucks to as much as 200 bucks and escape the big hole in their pockets. He expected the same from me also.

In the general conditions, had I even shown him my papers without explaining the situation to him, he probably would not even have bothered to check the same. I sometimes laugh at my innocence and truthfulness that day. I somehow tried to convince him, but he was in no mood to relent. By then the rain was also pouring heavily. And I did not have anything. I again requested him to let me go.

"You are all like that always. You never carry the required things and think you can fool the police. Now pay the fine and get lost!!!" That last phrase psyched me off. Already half drenched, I resolved that I am gonna make this fellow eat his words!

"I am ready to pay the fine. Tell me how much I have to pay." This words shocked him. I can still visualise his reactions to my statement. His mouth wide open, as if something extraterrestrial had come to earth, and he was policing the same.

"I am ready to pay the fine. Tell me how much I have to pay.But I want an official receipt for the amount that I am gonna pay you!!"

That gave him another jolt. "Why do you want a receipt ?? Give me a hundred bucks and lets settle it here. If it goes to the paper, you will have to unnecessarily shell out close to 600 bucks."

"I don't really mind even if its a 1000 bucks. Since you want me to pay the fine, I want to make it official."

"Why don't you settle it for a smaller amount man? Are you earning so much as to you want to throw away money like that?" I was getting more and more wild. In fact fuming at the words he was using. And the rain had by now, completely drenched me and had simply rubbed salt on my wounds.

"Whats your name??" I noted from his badge.

"Are you trying to bribe me?? Do you even know who I am?? I have recorded this whole conversation on my phone. Be prepared to watch it in the News and read about the same in the Newspapers tomorrow. I am sure you will be really happy to lose your 'high earning' job!!"

He got worried and by this time, his other colleagues who had caught some other people were also watching. The others also started resisting. The policemen started letting each of them go. But I wanted to prove a point. The guy who had caught me, tried to escape.

"Don't you want the fine??"

He did not even answer. He was still walking away towards the "Rakshak".

"Don't think that by letting me off, your story will not come on paper and TV. It definitely is gonna come. Be ready to lose your job"

I started my bike and sped off. I still could not laugh at the thought of him offering prayers that night!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahahahaa... each of us have these experiences... what pisses me off the most is when they catch hold of you even when u have not defaulted. I mean I'm ready to pay fine and all, if i have made a mistake, lekin khaali phikat giving paisa to these fellas is like real loot!

Anonymous said...

Hey that was real guts ! Good going :)

Rach said...

heheh,..... totally agree with Purnima... they are always on the lookout for some easy money!!

MadhuSRao said...

Nithin that was awesome!

I had a similar experience wen i came to Bengalooru in 2006 ..

I didn't even know we had to have a emission certificate here,
Unfortunately my insurance had expired 2 days before this incident and I was unaware of this too :(

This asura was very happy to have found a bakra.. he said "receipt bekaadre 800 rs illandre 500Rs kotbidi.." !!

I was shocked at his audacity to demand bribe of 500Rs!

Then it was his turn to get pissed off when I told him loudly that I wont give 500rs as bribe .. then he took away my keys and original DL and made me wait for half an hour.. They even reduced it to 300Rs .. Finally he realized I wouldn't pay a bribe so he gave a receipt and then let me move..

When asked why they do this, he tells the CM (son of former PM) himself has given them targets to achieve in collecting "bribe" (not fines !!)

I hate these guys from that day.. When I told my relative of this on the same day, he said that even he had been stopped for checking that day but got away with 20 Rs.. he didn't even have a DL!! He says this is being "street smart" and I was a fool to pay the entire fine..

If he had asked for 50Rs even I would have given it and avoided further harassment .. But you are simply great, I wish I had the guts to confront him then..

Don't you think its because of this attitude of ours, these asuras have got the courage to demand bribe?? No wonder India is among the most corrupt countries in the world!

We need people like you man.. for the betterment of India :)