Friday, April 10, 2009

Phunny Inccident!!!!

This is arguably one the funniest incidents that I enjoyed in my 33 months at my previous organization and I thought I should blog it down. So here you go.

It’s 10th April 2009, less than a week for me to be relieved from my current job. I have already put in my papers on the 1st of March 2009 and was asked to work till the 15th of April which I have obliged. Having said that, as per the advice of my friend, I have tried to have the maximum fun out of these 45 days.

Our GM was on a two day visit to Hyderabad, supposedly happy at the good performance we had put in at this year’s CSI studies. He wanted to visit some dealers and wanted to motivate them and their team as well as the team at our end, who made it possible. He came to Hyderabad yesterday, and after a couple of dealership visits, he opted to spend the evening with a few of his childhood friends, who he claimed to be meeting after 15 years. So, we (me and my boss) accompanied him till a place where we were working on a project, and he proceeded and went on to check in to one of the posh hotels in the city. We had agreed to meet at 9:00 AM, this morning.

Today, I picked up my boss on my motorcycle and proceeded towards the hotel where he was staying. I parked my bike, and we went up to the receptionist and asked her to leave him a message. Promptly, within 5 minutes, he came down and with a few more minutes he checked out from the hotel and proceeded with our dealership visits. No sooner had he checked out, he received a sms on his cell thanking him for the stay in the hotel. Once we were done with all the visits for the day, we had lunch and by 3:30 PM, we bid him goodbye after which he headed to the airport and we took an auto on our way back to the hotel where my bike was parked.

Now the last couple of weeks were very hectic, primarily because of the summer and more so because of the financial year change. Having involved in a lot of planning and deployment of the same, we were totally drained out. And going back to the office would again mean getting back into the same routine again. Having seen the same tired expressions on my boss’ face, I thought of some plan.

Me: “Why don’t we go and have a small nap at the hotel??”

Him: “Are you out of your senses?? He has already checked out and checking in again would mean a huge amount. Remember he is a GM, and his bills are paid on actual!!”

Me: “Let’s at least give it a try Sir!!”

Him: “Okay. Do whatever you want, but please ensure that you don’t screw up our image. As it is, you are going in a week’s time. It doesn’t matter to you. But we have a lot at stake. ”

Me: “Don’t worry. I won’t land you in any trouble!!”

We walked to the receptionist. She remembered me from the chat we had in the morning. I asked to speak to the manager and she introduced me to him.

Me: “We are from XYZ Co. Our colleague had checked in to the hotel last evening at 6:00 PM and checked out today morning at 9:00 AM. As you would have observed, we were having some discussions in the lobby in the morning and we need to discuss more about that for about an hour. So it would be great if you can give us a room for an hour or so. We have to catch a flight at 8:00 PM”

He did some calculations and got back. He asked us to confirm the name and cell number of the GM which we promptly did. After punching some more details into the system, he handed us the key card.

Mgr: “We are sure you will be leaving by 6:00 PM right??”

I had a smart glance at my watch and said, “We’ll vacate the room by 5:30 PM. Don’t worry. And yeah, thanks a lot!!”

Holding the key card in my hand, I turned back victoriously, to see an expression of shock and disbelief on the face of my boss. No sooner had we crossed the lobby and entered the lift, we both laughed our hearts out. It was only 4:00 PM and we had one hell of a nice rest, that both of us needed the most for us to work consciously for the next few hours!! I was only hoping that once we checked out again, my GM did not get the Thanks for staying message again!!!