Thursday, September 17, 2009

My laptop... my new friend???

Life has never been the same since the 13th of July 2009. I found a new friend for myself on that day, and since then it’s almost like I have literally forgotten all my other friends. I bought myself a laptop on that day, and ever since things have changed drastically. In this case, I am not really sure, if my Dell Vostro has been a friend or otherwise.

As I have mentioned in one of my earlier blogs, technology simply keeps people away from others. The human touch and the personal attachments that we have go missing. I have experienced similar feelings. Ever since I have got this piece, I am always online. God alone knows what I do online for so long. Our classes on a normal day end at 6 pm and I usually retire a couple of hours after midnight. It seems as if I am doing a lot of work and I don’t find time for myself. But at the end of the day, once I reflect back on the day’s events, I realize that I have wasted 8 good hours doing nothing productive. Before I got my laptop, I at least used to read the newspaper properly. It would be astonishing for you to know that I came to know about YSRs death, a good 36 hrs after it actually happened! I started reading a book a couple of months back. The book was seemingly interesting and I expected to complete it in at most a week’s time. But till date, I have hardly covered a fourth of the book. Once I was in my room, I hardly even ventured out. My social life had also gone for a toss. Unlike others, I hardly watch movies on the lappie nor do I waste time browsing unnecessary things. I attend all classes regularly and I think I do a fair job in doing all my other responsibilities on time. It’s not that the additional responsibilities that I have taken have actually burdened me. In fact, I feel relieved at the end of the day, when I am actually able to look back and say to myself that I have done something really quantifiable that day.

I lived with that guilt for a long time. I even used to isolate myself from others and at times, felt like crying at my condition. I have never been in such a bad condition earlier in my life. I was not able to understand what I was doing wrongly and what is it that I need to work upon. Because, as I said, everything simply seemed fine as long as I was doing it, but once it was time to reflect back on it, it was really depressing. That’s when I met Roshan. Now it’s a strange coincidence that we both are in the same city, and for the past 3 odd months, both were too busy to not meet each other. Having understood my plight, he insisted we meet. And once we meet, he helped me realize that the root of all my problems lied at my laptop itself. Yes, it was so obvious. The problem was right in front of me, and I could hardly realize it. And all it took him to tell me that was 15 minutes over a pizza. That’s what best friends do to you. They are indeed not different from you, but a part of you. They can feel every breath of yours and that’s the best part of it. When I came back that night and shut down my lappie at 10 pm, my roommate was in for a rude shock.

I hope that I don’t get too addicted to my laptop that I get obsessed with it. I really love my lappie, but let it be under control. I have lots of other friends in my life, and don’t want to miss out on those just because I have found one new friend!

1 comment:

S 4 Sandeep said...

haha .. i feel same maamu .. :)